Monday 10 March 2008

The Post-Election Syndrome.....

As our nation cast their vote and their right as a Malaysian citizen on Saturday, 8 March 2008 which marked down as one of the most historical event after 50 years. I myself, who after 28 years of living and breathing the air of Malaysia also did my rightful duty to vote for the first time. It was a nerve wrecking event as I did not know what to expect. Questions like, "Will I cross it wrongly?", " Will I get stuck in massive jam?", "Will I get influence to swing my votes?" This were the thoughts that kept running through my head as I headed down to my assigned location @ 10.15am, which was my primary school, "Sekolah Kebangsaan Kepong Baru". Yup, I'm a Kepong girl, and I'm proud of it....although many snickered and laughed when I mentioned where I'm from. For some who are not familiar with Malaysia, Kepong has always been associated with "gangsterism" and "money-laundering" activities. In fact the case of a couple who got shot was just kilometres away from where I'm staying! One could say Kepong is something similar to America's black area like the "Bronx". But of course the difference is that people in Kepong are filthy rich but they are look down upon...... probably because the way they dressed? However, there are huge changes in the past years and not as dangerous as one would think so. Roads are wider and cleaner, crime has lessen and big shopping mart like "Carrefour" and "Jusco" had been built around there. Prices on the house has quadruple!Plus, you could find some very delicious & famous delicacy around, like our "Bak Kut Teh"( A popular Chinese soup dish with meat)!Anyhow, I could go on debating about this till dawn, which totally defeat my entry for today.

As I was saying, upon stepping back to my old school, it somehow transported me back to my childhood memories. Memories like, "Hey i used to pee here", "That's my canteen", "That's where we used to squat near the drain, learning how to brushed out teeth"! Then, my cell phone suddenly rang and my sis was on the other line, " Hey, don't forget to cross the party that you wanted to elect and not the other way around!"(with the typical Chinese cum "si-lai"/aunty accent). That's her advised...Hmmm... Anyway, as I got my number and designated room to cast my vote, I was lucky that my line was short compare to all the other rooms. "Woo hoo"....But one thing I noticed while standing there was how "cheap" the voting booth looks! I always picture it that as a solid plastic material with some red-maroon curtains covering it...Probably i watched too many Americans movie! But the one thing I didn't like was the use of 2B pencil to vote? What the F**k? Are we still in some primary school that still uses pencil to make such important decision in your life? My first thought was that, anybody can just erase it and cross out the party that was suppose to win! Why can't the SPR (The official Malaysian electoral commision that governs the election process), provide us with some pen?

Sunday 9th March 2008: I got up sleepily at 10.15am yet excited to the breath of fresh air.....waking up to a new change of government! Yes, like many other Malaysians I stayed up till 4AM waiting for the result to be announced, which never in my life did unless if I'm out partying....The result was in and that the opposition (DAP-PKR-PAS) has took 5 states (Selangor, Penang, Perak, Kedah and Kelantan) and and 2 which is the major states . Me, who is part of Selangor state will definitely embrace the change and hope for the better. I definitely would like to see more changes in terms of business opportunity in which the past has hindered my company (yes, I own a company called "Antswork Communications Sdn Bhd) due to corruption. So I do hope the new state government would do something to bring in more investor and fight corruption as well as better usage of our tax money (Instead of "stupidly" spending a whopping 90 millions on projects like sending A person up the space and called him an "Angkasawan" =Astronaut)

I was celebrating the new change @ Cafe 888, located at Kota Damansara, PJ with my bf and friends while receiving non-stop sms and calls of joy! It was also a double joy for me as i got to know that 3 bloggers who contested for the seat also won. Hats down to one of the famous blogger was Jeff Ooi who managed to raise the money from his blog asking people to contribute for his campaign up to RM120k! I have never been following his blog but is now a big fan of his! He is an inspiration to all bloggers and also to Malaysian who fight for their right....I think his biggest appeal was that he knows what we wanted and needed. He was just an ordinary person with some journalism background that speaks the truth. He even played guitar and sang songs during one of the campaign! How cool was that. I just hope he will now live up to the Malaysian's expectation who voted for him and do the right thing...

So, for now everyone is still in shocked with the opposition's "tsunami" win and is slowly getting back to work! Well on my side, life still goes on but the only difference is I will be reading more on the front page news and learning who is the new state MP!

2 comments:

W_W_H said...

wow vampy, its been a while since ur last update... but look at this post, super duper long wei... must have been in a meditation for a longgggg time......... ;)

vampynyam said...

hi wwh

thanks for logging in to check out my post...Hahaha,..I thought i would lost some connection with you guys...Hehehee...well you could say i've been in "hibernation" for loooong time. Had been super busy with my work. But look out for my Dubai pictures...Will be posting soon. Just need to organize my picture together. :))