Monday 25 June 2007

FRIM Green Day Festival-17th June 2007

It has been a week since they last published on the Star newspaper about the “Green Day Festival” at FRIM celebrating the world environment day on June 17, 2007. “Tsk Tsk” to those who are not aware of this and “Kudos” to those who care and loves our environment. It has been awhile since I rough it out in the jungle or even going up the mountain that I love. So, when I read about the Green Day Festival in which they promised loads of activities, fun games and tons of food, I got so excited and dragged my friends along.

Sounds cool right? It was cool if we didn’t party the day before..... till 2am that is! We had to dragged ourself from the comfy bed and get our butt to FRIM by 8am! Can you believe it? They published events like the “5km Forest Run” and “Canopy Walk” (in which each individual need to pay like RM5.00 per event). The person, who did the registration for me, told me I need to be there by 8AM cos the race will start at 8.30am! So obviously, we had to wake up at 7am to be ready. Boy, i had such difficulty of opening my eyes.....even though the alarm was ringing non-stop. There was even a slight moment that I thought of forgetting the whole thing and continue my sleep. Let's not forget the night before was also raining... so can you imagine how hard it was? Now I understand why bears choose to hibernate during the winter .....cos i would too!

Anyway, I arrived around 8.20am and there was a slight jam. I had to parked all the way to the outside and walked in for another 15 minutes. For a minute there I thought I made a mistake on the date cos there was no proper signage or a hint of any festival going on. It was just like any other normal days that you see people walking up and down. Anyway, when I finally saw a “mini” signboard pointing us towards the event, I breathe a sigh of relief! So, I fastened my pace and went to the area where it said “Registration”. I went over there and asked those volunteers to participate in both the run and canopy walk. And to my surprise, they told me registration is close cos I was late. The time marked 9am (Our normal Malaysian time) in which we were suppose to be there by 8am. They said the run was going to start soon and was only limited to 100 participants for both the run and canopy walk. I looked over to where the run was suppose to start and counted around 40++ participants only. Then I told them I called and registered earlier and fight my way through! It was either my strong debating skill or they were just plain “tidak apa” attitude that got us our ticket for both events. They gave us a yellow band to wear that looks like this. (Yeah I know it look a bit ‘cheapo’).


Anyway, I proudly slid through my wrist and was ready to join the run. Then I heard a loud horn. And Voila! the race was on and everyone started to run like a bunch of mad cows. And when I did joined them eventually (Had no energy to run, so I just did my power walk), all the participants who was running for their life just now…..was now seen walking and chit-chatting among their “cliques”. I guess it was too stupid to run cos it was going up the slope and into a muddy jungle full of rocks and tree branches. It would be stupid enough to run in such condition. So, then it makes you wonder why they even bother calling the event as a “Forest Run” in which it should be a Forest walk”? Don’t they know that with this kind condition, it is difficult to run? Who is going to pay for our medical bills if we trip or just roll over each other? Does the RM5 cover it? Hmmmm…

Another funny thing that I noticed was that there were other people who walked along trail with us without the yellow band! There were also people coming on the opposite of the jungle as well, and without the band! So, it made me wonder why I paid the RM5 and even begged the volunteers to let me participate in the event, when clearly you can still join in without paying! But then I thought to myself that my RM10(for both events) is going to a good use....contributing to whatever environment it is meant for(Hopefully)

Then after the run, I finally went for the canopy walk. Yes, I have never been to a canopy walk in my life and this was one thing that I most look forward to! Did I tell you that I’m afraid of height but it was sort of a personal challenge to me if I get through it (plus getting to see the nature from above). However, getting up the canopy walk was no easy ride either cos you gotta’ trek all the way up like going up the Batu Caves stairways! It was a solid 20 minutes trek up and boy, was it a good workout.So I would recommend to anyone who wants to build their stamina to run up and down every weekend on this trail. HAhaha…


Anyway, when I finally got to the planks hanging above the grounds, the scenery was breathe taking. The air was fresh, birds were chirping and the monkeys were "mating" (i heard extremely loud mating sound so they must be "ahemmmm"). You could just stop the time and not think of your life back in K.L. It was kinda therapeutic and relaxing in which I would say better than yoga. However, my excitement turned to disappointment as the walk was really short. Also, I found out that there was another group of family who were able to walk on these planks for FREE.......Again without paying the RM5.00! They managed to talked their way through acting innocent and pleading. Hmmmm…I should have used this excuse earlier and I would have save my RM10.00. NO, I have to be noble and save the environment, so it was for a good cause!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey I was there too. had my butt muscle all pull with pain. cannot tahan the direction given, damn blur f**ks la those ppl at the counter. good times huh...